Font configuration woes

A Long, long time ago I had the font configuration all figured out and so I forgot about it. Then I got a new notebook. What did I do on the last one? I dunno. It didn’t look that bad, so I just dealt with it. Last night, this was gnawing at me. So off the the Arch Linux wiki! This time to the Font Configuration page. My eyes have a preference for the Ubuntu fonts. So I simply installed those using a niftly little program called yoaurt and reboot. I don’t know what options I enabled before, but I linked 10-Autohint.conf into the /etc/fonts/conf.d folder and everything is better.

Ah…relish in the beauty. Even Firefox looks better!

KDE 4.4 Continued…

Konqueror. Um. As a web brower. Right. It generally works. However, most sites I use complain about an incompatible browser. It also loads/renders sites slower than Chrome or Firefox.

It still does the KIO stuff I love though! smb:/ is something I really miss in XFCE. (Although I hear rumors that it’s coming to Thunar soon!)

KDE 4.4 from an XFCE fan

So…today I noticed that it’s Spring! Since it’s spring, I think it’s time for something new. I’ve been very well set in XFCE for quite some time, especially since KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 never felt right. I loved KDE 3.x series so I was hoping that KDE 4 would be even better.

Running Arch linux, there’s a whole wiki on it at wiki.archlinux.org. I went with a base install, so pacman -S kdebase. Adjust slim.conf and .xinitrc and whala! I have a KDE desktop. I have to admit, it’s pretty. Composting helps add a nice touch.

Round one: Initial appearance… 7/10

sshd Quandry

So…I locked myself out of my server today. My server runs a program called Denyhosts which parses /var/log/auth.log for incorrect login tries and adds repeat offenders to the hosts.evil or hosts.deny file, depending on how you choose to set it up.

Somehow, one of my internal ip addresses got into the hosts.evil file (Oops), and I was unable to ssh into my server. cat /etc/hosts.evil |grep 192.168 showed my ip address clearly as ALL: 192.168.11.2. So…on to fixing the issue.

I manually found the line in the evil file and deleted it using VIM. However, since it’s still in the log, it reappeared in the hosts.evil file. Next is to clean the log file of my faulty ip. We pull out my long-lost friend, sed. He doesn’t get used very often.
cat /var/log/auth.log |sed -e '/192.168.11.2/d' > auth.log

Then copy the auth.log to the /var/log folder overwriting the original one.
Easy as that…then run the same command against /etc/hosts.evil:
cat /etc/hosts.evil |sed -e '/192.168.11.2/d' > hosts.evil

Also, copy the cleaned hosts.evil file to the /etc to overwrite the original one. Perhaps someone can comment on why this didn’t work, but when I redirected the output to the original file, the file got blanked. Since I didn’t back up my log first (thankfully, this was just a log) I now have a blank log file. So back up your files first!

All done!